Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Perfect Fit

I've always loved shoes (what woman doesn't?) and with loving shoes, there are preferences.

In my younger years, it was the brand with little thoughts of comfort.

As I got older, I had to say goodbye to my favorite brand like Nike because it was not a good fit for my feet. I chose Asics because it was a good brand and I noticed it felt good for my flat and "wide" feet :(

Anyhow, back to shoes, if someone shared over a year ago "Tiff, in 2012 you are going to be exercising consistently, almost to your weight goal AND you will be mainly shopping for workout apparel." I would have been smiling as I snacked on junk food.

Lo and behold, August 2011 was the beginning of the new chapter in my life.

Along with my search for the perfect shoe.

I noticed Merrell brand minimalist running shoes when a girl in my boot camp used it. I liked the look of it (no thoughts of "is it good for my feet?). As soon as I got my hands on the computer, I researched and promptly ordered a pair ($100).

I wore it to my next class after I received it and mind you, this was only about 6 weeks into my new chapter. My trainer frowned and bluntly told me, "I wouldn't recommend those shoes because if you are not used to it, you can strain or tear your calf muscles." I still chose to use it during beach boot camp. However, Friday workouts are at a park in Honolulu that has hills.

To make a long story short...I strained my left calf muscle attempting to run up a hill.

I was out for 6 weeks because I listened to fashion instead of reason.

After that incident, I researched again for shoes that were good for people with flat feet. My dad who is a runner shared with me that he only buys Saucony brand.

I stuck with my Asics but noticed that Saucony had a nice MINIMALIST shoe.

(Pause) Yes, I was hard headed on minimalist shoes.

I bought me a pair and will only use it for my indoor TRX class, which my trainer nodded her head in approval. I'll use it for walking and nothing else.

Lesson learned to buy running shoes that will cater to your feet especially if you are a beginner runner like me who runs 2-3 miles every other day.

Note: Saucony website has a tool that will prompt you to enter the type of feet you have as well as the type of shoe you are looking to buy. It will narrow the results for you on your options. Another thing, if you live in Hawaii, go to Runner's Room. They cater to the running community in Hawaii.

Investing in a good pair of exercise and/or running shoes is worth the investment. It minimalizes injuries as well as provide comfort while looking fashionably athletic :)

Happy Running

No comments:

Post a Comment